Sunday 21 January 2024

Stay Upright

 I've done training courses with the Stay Upright school since the 1980s, when the principal trainer was the company's founder Warwick Schuberg. I've done probably a dozen courses all up, various road riding courses and also an adventure bike course. The courses are essentially repeats: it's been good to get a refresher, some more feedback on my riding, and also the techniques taught have changed with time. 

In the 1980s the emphasis on braking was to bring both wheels to the point of lockup and to release the brake if the wheel locked up, now the emphasis is on "setup and squeeze", take up the slack in the brakes and suspension then apply the brakes no further than the point of lockup. Also in the 80s it was recommended to use all four fingers over the brake lever all the time, so that if you needed to emergency brake the habit of using all four was ingrained and automatic; with modern brakes only two fingers are necessary. 

Their approach and training have undoubtedly saved my life. I vividly remember the first time that I was aware that their system had allowed me to avoid dropping the bike. The system required that you never ride over painted lines on the road: although this is okay when it's dry when it's wet they're very slippery and you can't brake easily on them. You always ride over pedestrian (zebra) crossings on the black bits rather than the painted bits so that when they're damp avoiding the paint is automatic. One day in 1987 a car coming from a side street failed to give way and I hit the brakes when I was in the middle of a crossing, I'd've skidded and probably dropped the bike if I wasn't on the black. 


Day courses typically involve theory and then supervised riding practise. 


Happily, at the end of the day there is a "consolidation" session where you get to practice the techiques taught riding as fast as you want around the racetrack. 

Both photos supplied by Stay Upright. They have a website and a Facebook page. 




No comments:

Post a Comment